baslinux - [BL] wi-fi card for laptop

  • From: "Sheldon Isaac" <sisaac AT netaxs.com>
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [BL] wi-fi card for laptop
  • Date: Sun, 19 Sep 2004 09:17:47 -0400

Please excuse, have been away from Linux for months. Help, please.

Niece wanted a wi-fi card for laptop. I bought a WaveBuddy PCMCIA card,
then an old laptop to try it in. Worked in Windows98 with the supplied
driver, so I bought another card for her.

Now I've put BL 3.21 on that laptop, and have not been able to have it
work with that card.

dmesg doesn't mention it.

cardmgr says:

-------------
initializing socket 1
unsupported card in socket 1
product info: "11WAVE", ""11WP611AL-E"
function: 6 (network)
-------------

The instructions in
Z:\WLAN Card & Adapter\Drivers\Linux\ReadMe.pdf
say to add some stuff to a /scripts/atmel.conf file, including

-----------------
card "bla bla"
version "bla", "blah"
bind "pcmf502re"
-----------------

They "assume" Red Hat 7.3 or above, and say ' .. other distro, most of
this will still apply.'

They say to bunzip2 a .tar.bz2 file, and then there's a lot of stuff
about makefile etc. Which I don't understand.

Can I just get a ready to use module from somewhere!!???

Or use some other driver?

I will be glad to send the ReadMe.pdf and the
atmelwlandriver.2.1.1.tar.bz2

I have searched for many hours for info and for a precompiled module

Someone mentioned an ndiswrapper from sourceforge, to use with a Windows
driver? That also requires compiling or some such activity.

Many thanks,

Sheldon Isaac