baslinux - [BL] BL2 - bare.i kernel has CD-ROM problems

  • From: sindi keesan <keesan AT sdf.lonestar.org>
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [BL] BL2 - bare.i kernel has CD-ROM problems
  • Date: Sat, 18 Sep 2004 23:02:54 +0000 (UTC)

I have BL2 on a computer with CD-ROM (hdc) and CD-RW (hdd).
They work fine in DOS. They work fine with the BL2 kernel.
If I boot with the bzimage from bare.i (SW7.1) I can still use the CD-RW, but if I try to mount the CD-ROM drive I get
lost interrupt (9 times)
then a couple of lines about I/O error.

Why? Not important, just curious what BL2 is doing that bare.i is not, and why only one CD drive is affected. It is 40X, relatively new.

I was using bare.i to try out sound. The SB Creative AWE64 card that won't play midis in DOS except in a DOS window works fine at playing a wav file in linux (tho I can't get it to work with Opera yet). The Vibra16 AWE32 card that plays fine in DOS won't play wav files in linux, as Ron also reported for Vibra16 cards with BL2 and sb.o.

I have one hard drive hda and no hdb. Another computer (Compaq) would not mount /hdc or /hdd with nothing on /hdb unless I first attempted to mount /hdb, but that did not help here.