baslinux - Re: [BL] word processor

  • From: sindi keesan <keesan AT sdf.lonestar.org>
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [BL] word processor
  • Date: Thu, 16 Sep 2004 13:25:24 +0000 (UTC)

On Wed, 15 Sep 2004, Sean Parker wrote:

I'd like to see what you guys thought of this idea...

Rather than use Tex or LaTex as the text processor to
compose documents, could a person create a document
with a text editor using html and then view it and
print it with some small web browser from the console
or X?

I'm sure this idea is not new. Has anyone tried it?

Yes, I have used lynx combined with a text editor for this purpose. Go into lynx, type e to get the editor that you have chosen in options (o).
I can view the underlines, bolds, centering, etc. But it prints in plain text (without bold or underline) if you use p to print. Lynx shows all text the same size - it is not exactly WYSIWYG. You can set lynx.lss to show the attributes (as various colors on a VGA monitor, as combinations of bold and underline and blinking on a TTL monitor).

Type \ to 'reveal codes' or hide them again if you just want to see the html in lynx. Links also uses '\' but I have not found a way to use an editor within it - is there one?

Arachne (available for linux, probably X) also has a similar editor feature but I have not tried it in linux. It will show various sizes of text.

I have not found a 'reveal codes' or editing feature for Opera.

There are probably html editors written for linux. Arachne comes with a small one. Maybe Netscape or Mozilla have something. I found it easier to just type the code myself, but I use only simple code.

thanks,
Sean