baslinux - Re: [BL] word processor

  • From: 3aoo-cvfd AT dea.spamcon.org
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [BL] word processor
  • Date: Wed, 15 Sep 2004 08:09:47 +1200

Sean Parker wrote:

> Has anyone had any luck find a console based word
> processor for linux?

There are no WYSIWYG wordprocessors for the Linux console.
All of them use X. There are plenty of text editors for
the console and some of them are pretty capable. You will
find some in the /ap1 directory of Slackware 4.0

> I've thought of using Tex from SW4.0

There is also a WYSIWYG frontend for Tex that runs in X.
I think it is called LyX.

> but I really rather use something akin to WordPerfect
> for Unix.

You could try WordPerfect 8 for Linux. The binary can be
downloaded from various places (the source was not released).
WP8 is not used very much currently because the binary was
compiled only for the old libraries (libc5). Fortunately
BL3 uses libc5. For a while I ran WP8 on BL1 (also libc5),
but I haven't tried it on BL3. The big question mark over
BL3 is whether Xvesa will work with it.

I have thought about testing WP8 on BL3 myself, but it is
a big download (around 25mb) and my only internet access
is via a 33.6 modem on a time-limited dial-up account.
If you want to try it yourself, let us know how it goes.
You might find the following useful:
http://www.control-escape.com/wp8.html

> Have we even found something in X that might run on BL3?

I've successfully run the static flwriter on BL3. In the
next week or so I'm hoping to compile a smaller version
(dynamic libc5) with better fonts.