baslinux - Re: [BL] word processor

  • From: James Miller <jamtat AT mailsnare.net>
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [BL] word processor
  • Date: Tue, 14 Sep 2004 20:57:12 -0500 (CDT)

On Wed, 15 Sep 2004 3aoo-cvfd AT dea.spamcon.org wrote:

> Sean Parker wrote:
> >
> > Has anyone had any luck find a console based word
> > processor for linux?
>
> There are no WYSIWYG wordprocessors for the Linux console.
> All of them use X. There are plenty of text editors for
> the console and some of them are pretty capable. You will
> find some in the /ap1 directory of Slackware 4.0

I concur with Steven on this. I looked long and hard over a period of
several months and found nothing. I did find one of those software
novelty sellers that sell old software to (apparently) collectors that had
WP 5.1 for Unix. But it was a few hundred dollars, if memory serves.
Then, it's need to be prted somehow to Linux.

> You could try WordPerfect 8 for Linux. The binary can be
> downloaded from various places (the source was not released).
> WP8 is not used very much currently because the binary was
> compiled only for the old libraries (libc5). Fortunately
> BL3 uses libc5. For a while I ran WP8 on BL1 (also libc5),
> but I haven't tried it on BL3. The big question mark over
> BL3 is whether Xvesa will work with it.

Some hold that WP 8 - even with the advent of OpenOffice - is still the
best wordprocessor for Linux. There's a whole site devoted to installing
and running it - don't recall the url. It needs some tweaking to use
TrueType fonts, apparently. If it could be made to run under BL3, that
would be a great enhancement. Anyway, it should not be thought of as
outdated.

James