baslinux - [BL] BL3 reports

  • From: James Miller <jamtat AT mailsnare.net>
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [BL] BL3 reports
  • Date: Thu, 24 Jun 2004 11:50:05 -0500 (CDT)

Seeing that there was a newer BL3 available than the one I had loaded on
my old laptop, I went ahead and downloaded it. It would not unzip with
the unzip utility included in BL3, so I had to get it onto the machine via
other means (since the network on it is running, I managed that with a bit
of creativity). I could not make an ftp connection to my other machine,
so I'll likely try installing an ftp client soon. I'll report on that
later. In any case, I decided that, to update to the newer BL3, all I'd
really need to do was replace the initfs.gz file currently in c:\baslin.
Is this correct - i.e., does this effectively upgrade that older BL3 I had
to the newer one I downloaded?

As far as preliminaries go, the following. My laptop's screen is pretty
tiny, and since I'm stuck at 640x480 resolution (don't think the display
will go any higher), font size is a problem. Using links, for example,
many pages I tried to visit were getting pushed offscreen to the right
because the text was not fitting. I know how to scroll right, but that is
really only an interim solution. To be really useable, links should have
text wrapping at the edge of the xterm most of the time. I likewise got a
pretty jumbled display viewing man pages. So, the first item for me is
getting some smaller fonts. I looked around a bit through the fonts
directory, but I wasn't really understanding it. I did manage to get rxvt
to display with a proportional 7x14 font, which looked ok. But how to I
get links to display with a smaller font? I like the fontface links has,
so if I can get the same one in a smaller size, I'd like to do that.
Suggestions?

Also, links displays in a terminal window with a scrollbar on the left.
But with links, the scrollbar is not useable. Again, because of
already-cramped screen real estate, I'd like to get rid of links'
scrollbar. How do I go about that?

Thanks, James