baslinux - Re: [BL] newbie

  • From: Sindi Keesan <keesan AT iamjlamb.com>
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [BL] newbie
  • Date: Wed, 23 Jun 2004 00:19:22 -0400 (EDT)

I read about Partition Resizer and it is not at all clear whether it can
resize a linux partition that has files in it, but I did figure out that
it moves all your files somewhere else before resizing a partition. On a
large enough drive, that has spare room and more than one partition, you
could probably make one big .tgz file out of everything, copy it to a
different partition, then delete the original partition and make two new
ones and put back the files to one of them, in order to get a smaller
partition. Or you could copy it all to a different computer, redo the
first one, and copy things back. I would not have dreamed of doing this
before getting ethernet working (12 sec at 100MBit for my entire linux
setup).