baslinux - Re: [BL] word processing

  • From: Sindi Keesan <keesan AT iamjlamb.com>
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [BL] word processing
  • Date: Tue, 22 Jun 2004 13:46:59 -0400 (EDT)

Several linux wordprocessors can produce RTF format, which can be imported
by WORD. I have tried Ted (I did not like it, slow and requires a mouse
for everything) and another that is buggy. People say Abiword is good.
Abiword uses wvware to import WORD files. I use antiword to read WORD
files - it can convert to text or ps format. I compiled it and a few
other things for BL2 not BL3. Since you have the space and memory, you
could install BL2 to hard drive and have a larger selection of precompiled
programs. I know Abiword is available at Steven's site, for BL2 - don't
know about BL3.

What web browser are you interested in? There was a lot of discussion
about those here a while back. If you need javascript, I suggest Opera
(Opera 7 requires the glibc from Slackware 8.1, and cannot be used with
BL3 but can with BL2 if you update glibc to 2.2.5). Opera 6 works with
the BL2 glibc but does not work well (it kept unloading itself in my
case). Try 6.05. Other people like Mozilla type browsers.

Netscape 3 should work on BL3 but is rather out of date. For BL3, Lynx
2.8.4 (?) is available from SW4. Links-ssl works - Steven might have a
link to it at his add-on page. There is a static version of links2
(graphical) at JP's website which might work for BL3.

You can also use BL3 to telnet to my bbs (www.grex.org) and use lynx 2.8.4
there for free (at variable connection speeds sometimes as high as 16
K/sec download, about twice a 56K modem connection). No graphics. Or try
sdf.lonestar.org for something similar (pay $1).