baslinux - [BL] Re: a newcomer's question

  • From: Lamotkin AT softhome.net
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [BL] Re: a newcomer's question
  • Date: Thu, 13 May 2004 17:21:02 -0600

Thanks to all of you for the help.
MC from BL1 site really works with BL3. I tired to revive other mc's
from earlier SW versions.
(For me it's strange to create such a mix of OS versions,
I was actually looking for a "lightweight" Linux distribution,
the one derived from a recent version, but coming with tiny
utilities/packages set, while allowing a user to add desired
software.)
So let's close the issue.
There is another problem. I'm trying to deploy tetris from BL1.
It needs "libvga.so.1" to run.
The general question is how to find "some_lib" among a distribution
file set. Is there any Must_Die-like "layout.inf" to determine
the ".tgz"? Or maybe there is a web search engine looking through
archives?
Roman.

3aoo-cvfd AT dea.spamcon.org writes:
Lamotkin AT softhome.net wrote:

ftp://dl.xs4all.nl/pub/mirror/slackware/slackware-7.1/slakware/ap1/mc.tgz
http://www.ibiblio.org/pub/linux/distributions/baslinux/bl3-21.zip

That version of mc requires glibc2. BL3 uses libc5, a completely different library. Although BL3 can use kernels and modules from Slackware 7.1, it can't use the packages (in the /slakware directory). Packages for libc5 can be found in Slackware 3 or 4.
I looked inside "mc" and saw it requires '/lib/ld-linux.so.2' which is not installed on the system. Where can I get this masterpiece

That is part of the glibc2 library. You will need more than
that to run that particular version of mc.
Sindi said she got "mini-mc" working on BL2 and proposed me to search it over the i-net. I failed. Do you know a link?

Perhaps Sindi was referring to the mini-mc package for BL1 (BL1 uses the same library as BL3). Click on the BL1 link (at the bottom of the BasicLinux homepage).
I think somebody tried the BL1 mini-mc and found it worked OK on BL3. However, if you want a more complete mc, you can install the mc package from Slackware 3 or 4. However, you might need to install an additional package or two to get that mc to work. IIRC that mc requires the gpm mouse package.