baslinux - Re: [BL] Connecting via ethernet

  • From: James Miller <jamtat AT mailsnare.net>
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [BL] Connecting via ethernet
  • Date: Thu, 13 May 2004 18:29:11 -0500 (CDT)

On Thu, 13 May 2004, Sindi Keesan wrote:

> I did not find a free crossover cable but I got four pci realtek 8139
> cards and one more ISA (Kingston) to play with and then probably return.
> Is there some easy way to make an adaptor so that a hub-type cable can be
> used instead of crossover, since I can get several of those free?

I'm afraid the adaptor would cost as much as - maybe more than - a new
crossover cable. The plugs for UTP cable ends are cheap - 50 for a couple
dollars or so. But the cable crimping tool is expensive - $20-$30. I
have heard of people making up cables without the crimping tool - using a
screwdriver to force down the cable-gripping tab on the plug and probably
the metal contacts so they bite into the wire. I know I could do this
with a bit of patience and the right tools (small and large screwdrivers
being the main ones). If you're handy with tools, or know someone who is,
you might give it a try. Be prepared for failure on the first couple of
tries, though - unless you're pretty good with this sort of thing.

> Most of the ISA cards were smc.

I'm very happy with my smc-ultras. They work great under Linux (with the
helper module loaded in addtion to the smc-ultra module)

James