baslinux - Re: [BL] a newcomer's question

  • From: 3aoo-cvfd AT dea.spamcon.org
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [BL] a newcomer's question
  • Date: Thu, 13 May 2004 08:36:26 +1200

Lamotkin AT softhome.net wrote:

> I'm trying to install Midnight Commander, it will make me feel
> comfortable just like I do with Volkov Commander on my DOS system.
> I've downloaded MC,

Which mc package did you download?

> ran "pkg mc.tgz", seen the package being extracted, then issued
> "mc". Oops! The shell said "-sh: mc : not found".

Perhaps a missing library?

> I verified that "mc" executable does exist in the /usr/bin
> directory.

What does the following say:
---------------
ldd /usr/bin/mc
---------------

> (I've also installed spreadsheet app "sc" the same way.
> It works just fine!)

I assume you got sc from the BL3 add-ons (which all work on BL3),
but mc is not there. Where did you get it?

> I noticed there are three shell "instances" running on this
> system. Each of them can be accessed by Alt+F1/2/3. Was it
> made deliberately or is it a "bug"?

It is standard in Linux to have several virtual terminals
available on those keys. If you don't want them, you can
turn them off in /etc/inittab.