baslinux - [BL] Re[2]: a newcomer's question

  • From: Lamotkin AT softhome.net
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [BL] Re[2]: a newcomer's question
  • Date: Wed, 12 May 2004 18:55:54 -0600

I'm trying to install Midnight Commander, it will make me feel
comfortable just like I do with Volkov Commander on my DOS system.
I've downloaded MC,

Which mc package did you download?

ftp://dl.xs4all.nl/pub/mirror/slackware/slackware-7.1/slakware/ap1/mc.tgz
(file size = 1'629'265).
The BasicLinux is
http://www.ibiblio.org/pub/linux/distributions/baslinux/bl3-21.zip
ran "pkg mc.tgz", seen the package being extracted, then issued "mc". Oops! The shell said "-sh: mc : not found".

Perhaps a missing library?

Now I realized, it is.
I verified that "mc" executable does exist in the /usr/bin directory.

What does the following say:
---------------
ldd /usr/bin/mc
---------------

/<#>ldd /usr/bin/mc
ldd: can't execute /usr/bin/mc (No such file or directory)
So (as Sindi advised) I looked inside "mc" and saw it requires
'/lib/ld-linux.so.2' which is not installed on the system.
Where can I get this masterpiece (looks like inside some tgz
of SW 7.1, maybe you know the file ...)?
Sindi said she got "mini-mc" working on BL2 and proposed me to
search it over the i-net. I failed. Do you know a link?
(I've also installed spreadsheet app "sc" the same way. It works just fine!)

I assume you got sc from the BL3 add-ons (which all work on BL3), but mc is not there. Where did you get it?