baslinux - Re: [BL] Re[2]: a newcomer's question

  • From: 3aoo-cvfd AT dea.spamcon.org
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [BL] Re[2]: a newcomer's question
  • Date: Thu, 13 May 2004 13:41:00 +1200

Lamotkin AT softhome.net wrote:

> ftp://dl.xs4all.nl/pub/mirror/slackware/slackware-7.1/slakware/ap1/mc.tgz
> http://www.ibiblio.org/pub/linux/distributions/baslinux/bl3-21.zip

That version of mc requires glibc2. BL3 uses libc5, a completely
different library. Although BL3 can use kernels and modules from
Slackware 7.1, it can't use the packages (in the /slakware directory).
Packages for libc5 can be found in Slackware 3 or 4.

> I looked inside "mc" and saw it requires '/lib/ld-linux.so.2'
> which is not installed on the system. Where can I get this
> masterpiece

That is part of the glibc2 library. You will need more than
that to run that particular version of mc.

> Sindi said she got "mini-mc" working on BL2 and proposed me
> to search it over the i-net. I failed. Do you know a link?

Perhaps Sindi was referring to the mini-mc package for BL1
(BL1 uses the same library as BL3). Click on the BL1 link
(at the bottom of the BasicLinux homepage).

I think somebody tried the BL1 mini-mc and found it worked OK
on BL3. However, if you want a more complete mc, you can install
the mc package from Slackware 3 or 4. However, you might need
to install an additional package or two to get that mc to work.
IIRC that mc requires the gpm mouse package.