baslinux - Re: [BL] Re[2]: a newcomer's question

  • From: Sindi Keesan <keesan AT iamjlamb.com>
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [BL] Re[2]: a newcomer's question
  • Date: Wed, 12 May 2004 22:08:33 -0400 (EDT)

On Wed, 12 May 2004, Sheldon Isaac wrote:

> On 12 May 2004 at 18:55, Lamotkin AT softhome.net wrote:
>
> > Sindi said she got "mini-mc" working on BL2 and proposed me to
> > search it over the i-net. I failed. Do you know a link?
>
> Perhaps http://217.109.169.18/download/basiclinux/mini-mc.tgz

What Sindi got working was:

the mini-mc (mc-mini?) from Delilinux with BL2

the plain mc from SW3.2 with BL1 after I added one file from the 3.2 gpm
package (gpmlib...?). You do not need the whole package if you know how
to open the package (tar -zxvf package.tgz) and copy over that one file to
where it belongs (which you can tell from where it lands when you do tar)
and make a symlink to it. Write me if you want to try this and need
help. This will save space on a small hard drive.

The mini-mc.tgz above should not need gpm.

put the SW3.x mc.tgz package in /tmp/mc/

tar -zxvf mc.tgz will make a bunch of directories under mc, with files in
them, one of which is the one you need. Probably something like
/tmp/mc/usr/lib/gpmlib....

It won't be the exact name, the last numbers will differ.
Copy that file to /usr/lib/gpmlib....
Then determine the name of the file you need, for instance
gpmlib.0
and what you have is gpmlib.0.2

cd /usr/lib
and type

ln -s gpmlib.0.2 gpmlib.0

(the names are just examples)

Then the mc program will use gpmlib.0.2 when it needs gpmlib.0
ln -s makes a 'symlink'(stands for what?) which is a pointer from the name
a program needs to the actual file name, usually a longer number.

Steven prefers to install entire packages, which iseasier and
less likely to cause errors. Ilike to save space.

Dratthisspacebar!!!!!

SOmeone please correct me if any of the above is wrong. I am also still a
beginner, but I did install mc in BL1.

Many of the suggested mirror sites for BL1 no longer work.
I was able to find SW3.x at ftp.planetmirror.com.