baslinux - [BL] a newcomer's question

  • From: Lamotkin AT softhome.net
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [BL] a newcomer's question
  • Date: Wed, 12 May 2004 03:12:11 -0600

Hello!
Thank you very much for this great opportunity of getting Linux
experience with BasicLinux. It's small filesystem just fits my
old HDD.
I need your help. In order to browse files (especially scripts),
I'm trying to install Midnight Commander, it will make me feel
comfortable just like I do with Volkov Commander on my DOS system.
I've downloaded MC, ran "pkg mc.tgz", seen the package being
extracted, then issued "mc". Oops! The shell said
"-sh: mc : not found". I verified that "mc" executable does exist
in the /usr/bin directory.
(I've also installed spreadsheet app "sc" the same way. It works
just fine!)
What is wrong?
Thanks in advance.
P.S. There is another question. I noticed there are three shell
"instances" running on this system. Each of them can be accessed
by Alt+F1/2/3. Was it made deliberately or is it a "bug"?