baslinux - Re: [BL] modem problem

  • From: Hal MacArgle <halinux AT kvinet.com>
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [BL] modem problem
  • Date: Sat, 1 May 2004 08:32:23 -0400

On 05-01, Matrix Mole wrote:

> * From above (where Is said to see below): I have a modem laying around
> here somewhere (in a box at the moment) that has jumpers for setting COM
> port/IRQ or I can set it to use PnP. It's a USRobotics 56k Voice INT PnP.
> I can't seem to figure out what jumpers to use to get the thing to work
> outside of windows. If anyone knows where I can find instructions on what
> jumper settings to use, I'd be very thankfull.

Hmmmmmm. I have little problem fitting modems to Linux
machines but plenty trying MSWindows, failing with most and all
Winmodems I've tried..

Googling with the USR model number should find what you need
methinks.. As you know USR made/makes a bazillion models so the model
number is necessary..

Why not set the jumpers to Com2, 0x2f8, irq 3, and be done
with it?? The newer BIOS's may need changing from auto to legacy..
PnP with Linux ISA is not too hard with the isapnp suite of programs,
once you decipher the doco's...

If you give up on it, don't trash it, I can use it. <grin>

Hal - in Terra Alta, WV - Slackware GNU/Linux 9.0 (2.4.20)

Anyone can pile complexity upon complexity;
only a genius can truly simplify..
.