baslinux - Re: [BL] New error message

  • From: Matrix Mole <matrixm AT sdf.lonestar.org>
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [BL] New error message
  • Date: Wed, 5 May 2004 21:50:47 +0000 (UTC)

On Wed, 5 May 2004 3aoo-cvfd AT dea.spamcon.org wrote:

> what did it say in the error message?
> I'm just trying to give it what it's looking for.

Ok, I executed the program without making any changes to the system
whatsoever and this what I get (the part about not finding servers.ini is
normal as it will create the file for you and fill it with default data on
first run):

-------------
~/newsplex<$>newsplex
NewsPlex 4.1 (Jan 15 2004) Copyright (c) 1999-2004 by Adam Mirowski
Creating the etc sub-directory.
No etc/servers.ini file yet.
Trying to locate your news-servers automatically.
[news] name newsplex: error in loading shared libraries: newsplex: symbol
gethostbyname_r, version GLIBC_2.1.2 not defined in file libc.so.6 with
link time reference
~/newsplex<$>
-------------

I delete the freshly created etc directory (so that it thinks it'll be run
for the first time again after relinking the libraries). I created the
link to libc-2.1.3.so as libc-2.1.2.so and it still gives the exact same
error message.

I verified that I had the DNS numbers in /etc/resolv.conf and it stills
gives the error. The libraries mentioned in the gethostbyname_r function
data conceren .a and header files it appears, and I'm hoping that this
data is already compiled into the program. If not, I'll have to install
the 92MB glibc afterall. Not that it'll be to great an concern, I plan to
eventually have glibc installed on my system anyway, just didn't expect it
to be so soon. Still waiting to hear from the newsplex help lists. If
nothing comes of that, I may go drastic and backup my BL data, and perform
a full install of SW71 and see if newsplex will run out of the box on
that. That will be my most desperate last resort though. I'll try the
install of full glibc first before trying the SW install.

--
Matrix Mole
matrixm AT sdf.lonestar.org