baslinux - Re: [BL] BL3.10

  • From: Ron Clarke <ariadne AT acepia.net.au>
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [BL] BL3.10
  • Date: Tue, 20 Apr 2004 09:04:44 +1000

Hi Steven,

On Mon, 19 Apr 2004 11:32:15 +1200
3aoo-cvfd AT dea.spamcon.org wrote:

> MagicPoint is a widely-used Linux application. There's
> lots of information around (including a discussion group).
> The version in BL3 (1.07) is slightly old, but it's not
> that different from the current version (although it is
> a lot smaller).

I will have a search for some of it.

> > What do we call the file it is supposed to run - anything we like ?
>
> Yes. It should have an .mgp suffix (but I don't think that
> is compulsory).
>
> > I see that you have used demo.mpg
>
> Oops. I meant to put demo.mgp

Double Oops ! My typo. My fingers are used to typing .mpg, I do a lot
with
multimedia. :)

> > > ----------------------
> > > export DISPLAY=clark:0
> > > xterm &
> > > ----------------------
> > > Then clark will be able to run anything on lois from that xterm.
> >
> > Yes, it worked ! :)
> >
> > When I tried QV, that showed up on lois' screen and would
> > only run from lois' keyboard. Interesting !
>
> Is QV an SVGAlib program? I think SVGAlib only works locally.

Not sure - it is supposed to be fully self-contained.
On the other hand it doesn't work in BL3. It is supposed to use vesa, or
you can load a graphics driver (downloadable with it, but it is rather
large - 8.98 Mb).

> > > ----------------------
> > > export DISPLAY=clark:0
> > > icewm &
> > > ----------------------
> >
> > Yes, icewm works too ! I might just get a few (or a lot of)
> > miles out of this. :)
> >
> > enlightenment which was then only controllable from lois'
> > keyboard and displayed on lois' monitor.
>
> Sounds like enlightenment is configured to display on
> localhost:0 (rather than using the DISPLAY setting).
> This might be changeable in one of the config files
> enlightenment uses.

Possibly. Peanut is a RedHat distro, and it doesn't (yet) make a
lot of sense to me.

> > Seems like there is a limit as to what will run on clark's monitor
> > (where BL31 is).
>
> It depends on how exportable the program on lois is.
> Applications (like wordprocessors and browsers) usually
> export just fine.

I seem to remember you saying something about running Netscape
remotely. This is the sort of thing I am leading up to attempting.
Perhaps I will start trying to run Dillo on lois from bl3 on clark.

Regards,
Ron

--
Ron Clarke