baslinux - Re: [BL] transfer basiclinux 3.02 to HD

  • From: 3aoo-cvfd AT dea.spamcon.org
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [BL] transfer basiclinux 3.02 to HD
  • Date: Fri, 26 Mar 2004 07:26:42 +1200

Gavin & Sue Conaghty wrote:

> > Why exactly do you want to put BL3 on a separate HD partition?
>
> don't I have to do this to save settings,

No. The BL3 filesystem is persistent. It is not a ramdisk
(unlike BL1 and BL2).

> add modules,

Just get the module you need from Slackware 7.1 and put it
in /lib/modules/2.2.16/misc

> install programs...?

BL3 includes the pkg command (same as the HD version of BL1).

> >Do you want to use that entire 4gb partition for BL3?
>
> yes. I wanted to start with basiclinux and build up a small
> configured from there.

BL3 is not really suitable as a platform for building a large,
comprehensive Linux (for that I recommend BL2). BL3 is designed
to provide a basic Linux for systems with very limited resources.
In order to work on such systems, the BL3 installation is extremely
thin. Adding standard packages to that thin foundation is not easy
-- there will be gaps that need filling before such packages will
work. It is my intention eventually to provide some packages
designed specifically for BL3, but that is down the track a bit.
At any rate I am unlikely to provide many packages for libc5
(the current lib in BL3) when the plan is to move BL3 to uClibc
when uClibc is stable enough.

> 64MB and a 120Mhz P1

I recommend BL2 for that system.

> were hoping to boot basiclinux without having to boot dos first.

That is a separate issue. Booting with lilo can be done, but it
is less user-friendly than loadlin.exe. I recommend booting via
DOS (at least until the HD installation is completed and running
smoothly).