baslinux - Re: [BL] transfer basiclinux 3.02 to HD

  • From: James Miller <jamtat AT mailsnare.net>
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [BL] transfer basiclinux 3.02 to HD
  • Date: Wed, 24 Mar 2004 20:11:53 -0600 (CST)

On Thu, 25 Mar 2004, Gavin & Sue Conaghty wrote:

> >> Can someone please help me to get my basiclinux
> >> 3.02 to boot right from the HD.
>
> >If you want to have Linux on your HD, you have two
> >Cheers,
> >Steven
> I have a linux partition /dev/hda2 ~ 4G
> and a DOS 6.22 partition on /dev/hda1 ~ 32MB
> but cant find any instructions to setup onto the HD.
> Does someone know how to transfer basiclinux from ramdisk to running off HD?

We talked about this very thing onlist recently. There isn't a set
routine for doing this yet: I think maybe that's Steven's next development
phase. The way we mentioned doing this in our discussion was by using the
ramdisk version of BL2. Basically you boot that, mount the DOS partition
where BL3 is, make and ext2 filesystem on the target install partition,
insmod loop, mount fs.img as a loop device somewhere on BL2 ramdisk, then
mount your target install partition somewhere else. From there, it's
seems like it's just a matter of copying over the data from the loop
device where fs.img is mounted to the target partition. You'd have to
edit boot.bat to reflect the new location of the root filesystem, too, in
order to be able to boot it. Not for newbies - or at least only for
adventurous ones who aren't at risk of loosing data on adjacent
partitions. I've been deliberately vague in giving directions. Steven is
really the final word for you on the best way to install. He may just ask
you to wait until he has an install to HD routine developed - assuming he
intends to make one.

James

PS BL3 is *not* running from a ramdisk. It runs from a looped image file
located on your hard drive (on a DOS partition). No ramdrive involved.