baslinux - Re: [BL] [BL2] User account not write access

  • From: 3aoo-cvfd AT dea.spamcon.org
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [BL] [BL2] User account not write access
  • Date: Fri, 26 Mar 2004 07:43:36 +1200

Matrix Mole wrote:

> Something I just discovered today. The default user
> account (ie not root) has no write permission to even
> it's own home directory. This seems to be a bad thing.

It's a bug. Just delete that account (userdel) and make
a new one (adduser). Or, if you haven't installed the
shadow.tgz package, you can fix the bug by correcting
the ownership of /home/user:
chown user /home/user
BTW that command must be executed by root.

> I'm going to have this system operating headless, and you
> can't telnet or ftp in as root,

You can, if you want. However, if security is an issue, it is
much better to use a non-root account. For proper management
and security of non-root accounts, I recommend you install the
shadow.tgz package.