baslinux - [BL] BL2 - svgalib mouse driver configuration (for links2)

  • From: Sindi Keesan <keesan AT iamjlamb.com>
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [BL] BL2 - svgalib mouse driver configuration (for links2)
  • Date: Wed, 24 Mar 2004 15:46:01 -0500 (EST)

On Wed, 24 Mar 2004, Sindi Keesan wrote:

> Links2.1.9 and links2.1.14 were both able to manage the javascript
> examples at www.pages.org/javascript - at least the ones that did not
> require a mouse. Do I install gpm mouse for use with svgalib or does it
>have its own mouse driver?

It does have a mouse driver. It was configured for something fancier than
my plain serial mouse. I had to turn acceleration off.

The vertical colored lines in mousetest and other tests only occurred when
I was in text mode 132x25. I went back to 80x25 and got a yellow square
that responded somewhat to my mouse motions but drew things in the four
corners. In links2 moving the mouse caused the pointer to move to the
left upper corner and stay there. This sounds like I got the right
comport but something else was wrong. I found libvga.config.

I edited libvga.config as follows and now the mouse works in svgalib
programs such as links2. So I have a color graphical browser with a mouse
and no X needed. (It would be lovely also not to need a plastic mouse,
see below near end).

# Configuration file for svgalib. Default location is /etc/vga.
# Mouse type:

# mouse Microsoft # Microsoft
# mouse MouseSystems # Mouse Systems
# mouse MMSeries # Logitech MM Series
# mouse Logitech # Logitech protocol (old, newer mice use Microsoft
protocol)
# mouse Busmouse # Bus mouse
# mouse PS2 # PS/2 mouse
# mouse MouseMan # Logitech MouseMan
# mouse Spaceball # Spacetec Spaceball
# mouse IntelliMouse # Microsoft IntelliMouse or Logitech MouseMan+ on
serial port
# mouse IMPS2 # Microsoft IntelliMouse or Logitech MouseMan+ on
PS/2 port
# mouse none # None

####I added this line for a plain serial mouse, or uncomment above

mouse Microsoft

####I commented out both accel_type lines below, as these were making
#### the mouse pointer jump into the corners in links2
#### and in the mousetest test.

#mouse_accel_type normal # No acceleration while delta is less then
# threshold but delta is multiplied by
# ....... (deleted)
#mouse_accel_type power # The acceleration factor is a power function
# of delta until it reaches m_accel_mult. It
# .......

###### I uncommented this line to turn off acceleration - important!
mouse_accel_type off # No comment...

####I ignored a bunch of other lines defining mouse_accel. I deleted them
#### in this posting.

####I don't know if I have /dev/mouse, but I uncommented the line below
#### to specify com1 serial mouse. Probably not necessary.

# Usually /dev/mouse will be a link to the mouse device.

mdev /dev/ttyS0 # mouse is at /dev/ttyS0

#### I ignored a lot of additional lines with #

REGARDING KEYBOARD (ARROW) MOUSE:

#### Will the following let me program keyboard (arrow) mouse somehow?
#### At the end of this same .config file.

kbd_only_root_keymaps

# kbd_fake_mouse_event, as it says, sends a fake mouse event to the program.
# The format is: kbd_fake_mouse_event scancode [flag(s)] command [argument]
# Scancode is a raw scancode or a descriptive name, the same as with fake
# keyboard events (see above). If you use keymap conversion, specify
# scancodes for the keyboard layout the program will receive.
# Flags: down - trigger event when the key is pressed (default)
# up - the opposite
# both - trigger in both case, if pressed/released
# repeat - repeat events if the key is kept pressed (off by
default)
# commands: delta[xyz] - send a fake delta event as if you have moved your
# mouse. If the parameter is 'off' / 'on' it will
turn
# off/on the respective mouse axis (requires a
# parameter, of course)
# button[123] - send a fake event that the mouse button is pressed
# or released that's given by the parameter.
# ('pressed' or 'released')
# Here are some examples:

# This is one I use in *uake: it turns around, looks down a bit and when the
# key is released it does the opposite, so it gets back to the starting
state.
# With this one and the help of a rocket you can fly though the whole map :)
# (Scancode 28 is enter)
# kbd_fake_mouse_event 28 both deltax 8182 down deltay -1500 up deltay 1500

# This one will switch off the y axis of the mouse while the key (right ctrl)
# is kept pressed.
# kbd_fake_mouse_event 97 down deltay off up deltay on

# This one is the same as if you were pressing the left mouse button. (But
# if you move your mouse then the button state will reset even if you keep
# right ctrl down...)
# kbd_fake_mouse_event 97 down button1 pressed up button1 released

What does this all mean? How would I program svgalib keyboard so that
arrow keys move the mouse and INS and DEL from the number pad click L and
R buttons? I think first I need to know the scancodes for the number pad
but I have those from xmodmap already (somewhere).

# Monitor type:
#### Not needed. Default works (low frequency). This can get as
#### complicated as XF86Config but you can ignore it.
#### Why do we want to run the monitor at higher frequencies?

#### There was more about different chips - all #, defaults worked.