baslinux - Re: [BL] BL2 without X on an XT keyboard - scroll buffer

  • From: James Miller <jamtat AT mailsnare.net>
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [BL] BL2 without X on an XT keyboard - scroll buffer
  • Date: Mon, 22 Mar 2004 20:30:04 -0600 (CST)

On Mon, 22 Mar 2004, Sindi Keesan wrote:

> I am running out of reasons to use X in BL2. I don't need X to get more
> text on a page, so long as I am happy with a choice of 40, 80, 100 and 132
> columns of text mode screen font (and many choices of number of lines).
> The console mode program 'screen' can be used to copy things between 10 or
> more programs running in the same console, and two switch between them.

Now wait a minute. Are you saying you installed screen to BL2? Or are
you just telling us about its capabilities (which I already know about
anyway) and saying that, in theory, it could help you get BL2 working as
you want? If it's actually installed and working, I want to know more -
mainly what dependency issues you confronted. Any other information on
installing and running it would also be relevant to post here.

> Text-mode browsers lynx and links can use zgv for viewing (or seejpeg but
> some cards don't work with it) so xli is not needed.

I used links in BL3 and it was configured to open graphic files with xli.
What don't you like about that arrangement? Why is zgv a better choice?

> Opera
>
> (which can't be run in BL2, but can in BL3 with newer libraries)

Are you sure? Have you installed it to BL3 and gotten it working? If you
have, some of us would like to hear more (as I mentioned above for
screen).

> but links2 graphical works without X. Links is not too good at javascript
> yet. Links2 only works at 640x480x16 colors (or CGA and 256 colors) on a

There's also links-hacked, which may be a little further developed than
Links2. I've used it on DamnSmallLinux and liked alot of what I saw.
Very similar to Links2 in doing inline graphics, and also with at least
some javascript functionality (as well as ssl).

> SVGAlib does not seem to be keeping up with new video hardware.

Yes, the project seems to be moribund, unfortunately. It would be a great
boon for survpc'ers if development would continue.

> version of gv - what is the Debian equivalent of SW7.1?

I think that would be Debian 2.2 - called "Potato." Current Debian's
("Woody," Debian 3.0) default kernel is 2.2.20, btw. Seems most
immediately upgrade to a stable 2.4.x kernel, though.

Can't really help with your other questions, unfortunately.

James