baslinux - [BL] BL2 - links2.1.14 shared at delilinux (with ssl?)

  • From: Sindi Keesan <keesan AT iamjlamb.com>
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [BL] BL2 - links2.1.14 shared at delilinux (with ssl?)
  • Date: Wed, 24 Mar 2004 13:22:47 -0500 (EST)

The delilinux links2.1.14 is 2.1M download, produces a 3.45M executable
(as opposed to 7.95M links2.1.9 static from JP's site), but requires
libtiff, libjpeg, libpng, libvga, libdl, libm, libz, libc, ld-linux,
libX11. Will it work on a computer without libX11, in text mode or
SVGAlib mode?

I was able to log into my bbs and read conferences with links-ssl and with
links2.1.14 but not with links2.1.9 or links 0.93, both of which tell me
authorization required but don't let me fill in login or password.
Does this mean links2.1.14 has ssl capabilities?

We have links2.1.9 on two computers where the video card will do only 640
resolution in SVGA mode, but I was able to do 1024-64K with Xvesa.

Links2 can thus be used with X (-g), SVGAlib (-g -mode 640x480 or whatever
else is listed when you type links2 -g -mode 1, which depends on the video
card) or in text mode (no switches, like links 0.93 it lets you number
links and scroll with keyboard commands, but it also does authorization).
Is there some way to switch between text and graphical modes without
quitting first?

Steven, or anyone, do you want to try compiling links2.1.14 for BL3? Is
there some way to compile it so it does not need libjpeg libtiff libpng
libvga if it will be using only X, with switches during configuration? I
like it much better than Netscape 3, which fills the top of the screen
with menus and does not have good keyboard navigation. But Netscape 3
does javascript.

Does links2 have any javascript capabilities?