baslinux - Re: [BL] BL2 without X on an XT keyboard - scroll buffer

  • From: Sindi Keesan <keesan AT iamjlamb.com>
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [BL] BL2 without X on an XT keyboard - scroll buffer
  • Date: Tue, 23 Mar 2004 00:41:31 -0500 (EST)

> Now wait a minute. Are you saying you installed screen to BL2? Or are
> you just telling us about its capabilities (which I already know about
> anyway) and saying that, in theory, it could help you get BL2 working as
> you want? If it's actually installed and working, I want to know more -
> mainly what dependency issues you confronted. Any other information on
> installing and running it would also be relevant to post here.

Dependencies: At this Redhat Computer - libncurses, libutempter,
libcrypt, libperm, ld-linux, libdl and libc. At www.grex.org (sunos) only
libdl and libc. The SW80 version that worked for me needed ncurses.
Another version statically compiled for SW80 with ncurses would not work
for me with BL2. It took a lot of experimenting to get something working.

There is a long manual. You can set the size of the scroll buffer. I
can't check how it works right now since I have a DOS-kermit scroll buffer
(PgUp/PgDn).

If you read closely you will see that you start screen by typing screen,
and exit by typing exit (you need to get out of the current window first
and I don't know how I did that). To give any command type Ctrl-a first.
(This might cause problems in pico if you expect Ctrl-a to take you to
the beginning of a line - it does not, it switches screens instead).

Ctrl-a c creates a new screen in the current virtual console, with VT100
emulation. You can do this up to 10 times (or more if you change the
defaults) and have 10 programs running in 10 screens on each console. I
started pico in two and joe in one. To switch to the first type Ctrl-a 1,
second is Ctrl-a 2, etc. There is a way to mark and copy text to a buffer
and then to another screen. You can also start up screens in a second (or
third?) console and copy between screens on different consoles but I
forget how. The hard part is figuring out that C-a means Control-a.