baslinux - [BL] BL3-01 preliminary report

  • From: James Miller <jamtat AT mailsnare.net>
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [BL] BL3-01 preliminary report
  • Date: Tue, 16 Mar 2004 08:29:48 -0600 (CST)

On Sat, 13 Mar 2004 3aoo-cvfd AT dea.spamcon.org wrote:

> BasicLinux 3.01 is now available:
> http://www.volny.cz/basiclinux/bl3-01.zip

I finally got to do some real fiddling with BL3 last night. You may
recall I had mouse problems on the 386 that prevented me from doing much
with BL3 on that machine, and was told the solution was to try a different
mouse. Well, I still haven't gotten around to getting a different mouse
from storage. But I decided to just throw together a quick and dirty DOS
machine using some junk here that didn't make it into storage. What a
neat little distro this is! I just used hda1 for the installation, so
nothing helpful to report on that front. I did note that it mounted the
drive under a /DOS directory that was actually a symlink. That's
different from BL3.00, right Steven? I'm happy to report that the dhcp
client works just fine on my network. All the modules I needed for the
card I had in that machine (Linksys PCIEthernet II) were already included.
I had only to add lines insmod'ing them to /etc/rc and a line invoking the
dhcp client and it gets on the network just fine on bootup. As far as
real world uses go, I'd consider putting it on my old laptop. But I
anticipate some major hurdles to get PCMCIA networking going (adding a
PCMCIA package - from Slack 3.5, 7.1? - and replacing some busybox
commands). Any input on getting PCMCIA going with BL3, Steven?

James