baslinux - Re: [BL] BL3 Preliminary report

  • From: Sindi Keesan <keesan AT iamjlamb.com>
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [BL] BL3 Preliminary report
  • Date: Mon, 8 Mar 2004 23:51:49 -0500 (EST)

On Mon, 8 Mar 2004, James Miller wrote:

> Preliminary report:
>
> Couldn't boot at first due to an apparent IDE controller problem (it was
> probing for a non-existent disk, and when it couldn't find it, the boot
> process would abort). I fixed this by adding hde=none hdf=none to
> boot.bat.

I was able to boot BL3 just fine on both Pentiums (PI and PII) with Win98
DOS on them. I read readme and noted that BL3 is supposed to work on a
386 with 3M RAM. We have one of those, which I got working with Arachne,
Nettamer, and DOS lynx already. But the hard drive is 30M total and I
certainly do not have 25M free space on it. Why do we need so much free
disk space? Our pentiums have C: and D: partitions - in the first case
on two separate drives.

I have not tried X. I am more interested in getting online.

I looked in /usr/bin and found microcom. Typing microcom --help (or just
microcom) results in the program telling me that ttyS0, 2 and 3 were not
responding, and it sent at&f to ttyS1 but nothing else happened.

At some point I got some instructions to specify the com port with
microcom -D/dev/ttyS1 but when I did that it crashed. I had to reboot.
I will try this again after reading the microcom man page, which I just
discovered. This program is a nice surprise and I hope I can get it to
work.

So I did pppsetup and tried to dial my ISP (so I could telnet to my shell
account instead of direct dialing). Dialed okay, but -- long pause --
pppd failure. BL2 never ever failed for me. But I got similar failures
when mixing BL2 with the newer kernel, on a different computer (the laptop
486). I forget whether this was the message I got when using the proper
ppp for the newer kernel - I can't tell which ppp is in BL3. 106K pppd.
Is there something I could do to adjust the timing to prevent this
failure? I am using the same ISP in which I got the failure with BL1 and
the newer kernel, until I changed to the newer pppd, at which point it
dialed okay.

Not much point in trying the mail program(s) until I get pppd to work, but
Jim was asking where he could find a simple popmail program so he won't
need to read/write mail online. I note that you now have better Help for
the mail writing program, and that the program itself is immensely easier
to use. Thanks. But I cannot get it to work offline.

mail 6 (Enter) gives me a nice place to fill in To: and Subject: lines
and write a message.
I don't see any way to fill in the From: line.

I typed 1 to 'configure POP3 and SMTP server' and got into some screen
that appears to be e3pi, with no instructions for POP3 configuration, and
used Ctl-X to exit, and now when I type 6 instead of the nice screen where
I could fill in To: I see 0/0 Term: 80x24 Pos=134595104 (etc.)
Is there a man page for using this configuring program?
I exited mail and went back in and typing 6 again gives me the 0/0 Term
screen. Ctrl-C exits. I repeated this a few times. What did I mess
up, and how? (I can fix this by unzipping BL3-00.zip again).

X - can't get it to do anything despite having 32M RAM. Do I need to
unzip the swap.zip file first?

I typed startx and chose 640 resolution by typing a, or A, and nothing
happened. Ctrl-C exits. startx puts me back to the Xsetup program (the
second time I tried to run X). b/B also don't work. The monitor only
does 640 (mono) so I won't try C. Ctrl-C exits.

Thanks for e3pi, which seems to work well.

I see you have a 'man' program. There are a lot of /man.*gz files for
things like eznet, rxvt, Xvesa, pmail, and even microcom (which I ought to
read as it tells you how to write a script). For pppd, readmail, and
pmail. I should have read 'issue' before getting this far, since you
mention the 'man' command there. Nice surprise, thanks.

I have probably done almost everything wrong that a dummy could do, but I
will keep testing tomorrow.

Thanks for the nice new bl and I look forward to getting it all to work.