baslinux - [BL] BL3

  • From: 3aoo-cvfd AT dea.spamcon.org
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [BL] BL3
  • Date: Tue, 9 Mar 2004 13:00:45 +1300

OK, BasicLinux 3.00 is now available:

http://www.volny.cz/basiclinux/bl3-00.zip

I've used some new techniques in BL3 so I'm not sure if it
will boot for all of you. All my testing has been with MSDOS
(no Windows here). I would be very interested to hear if it
works with other flavors of DOS and with Windows 95/98 in DOS
mode.

IMPORTANT NOTE: You must unzip BL3-00.zip in C:\baslin
It will not work anywhere else.

There is a small swap file in the zip to augment the memory
on low RAM systems. If you have 4mb RAM, you *must* activate
the swap file. It is also a good idea for 8mb RAM (with more
RAM than that, forget about the swap file). You activate the
swap file by unzipping it (in C:\baslin).

BL3 auto-mounts your C: partition (in order to access some files
in C;\baslin), so there is a now a possibility of you accidently
deleting files on C:. I suggest you do not play with BL3 on a
system that has valuable data on your C: drive.

To mount a DOS floppy:
---------
mount /fd
---------
To mount a CDrom, you will need to do three insmods to activate
CDrom-capability (unlike BL2, it is not built into the kernel).
See /etc/rc. BTW, any configuration changes you make to BL3 will
*not* disappear when you reboot. They will still be there next
time you boot. So, if you edit /etc/rc or /etc/profile, your
changes will come into effect the next time you boot.