baslinux - Re: [BL] Re: Please tell me about BL3

  • From: Sindi Keesan <keesan AT iamjlamb.com>
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [BL] Re: Please tell me about BL3
  • Date: Sat, 31 Jan 2004 10:11:48 -0500 (EST)

Can you post e3pi so other people can use it without tail, in both BL1 and
BL2? As an add-on.

On Sat, 31 Jan 2004 3aoo-cvfd AT dea.spamcon.org wrote:

> Sindi Keesan wrote:
> >
> > Could you possibly compile it yourself and see if you
> > can get e3pi to work without installing tail from txtutils?
>
> I already have a working copy of e3pi. It doesn not need
> tail.
>
> > You did not include e3pi in BL1.
>
> I never said I did. I included e3 (which uses ws keybindings).
> There was no need for e3pi because the full pico was there.
> Also e3 is smaller than e3pi.
>
> > I think I tried renaming e3 to e3pi and it won't work without
> > tail.
>
> It won't give you pico keybindings no matter what. It is the
> simple e3 (without the alternate keybindings).
>
> > Do you have an e3pi that you got when you compiled and if so
> > please try it out without tail, or with busybox tail in the
> > right place (linked), thanks.
>
> I've already done that (temporarily removed tail from my system)
> and my e3pi worked fine.
>
> > e3pi (the one I compiled)
> > /usr/bin/tail: Not a directory
> > gzip: stdin: unexpected end of file
> > Cannot decompress usr/local/bin/e3pi
>
> Sounds like your version of e3pi includes some internal
> compression (perhaps to decrease the size of the various
> documentation pages). When I first got e3pi, I seem to
> recall some problem caused by the decompression routine.
> It wasn't tail, though; it was zlib or crypt or something
> like that. So I switched to a different version which
> does not use compression. Because of that my e3pi is
> larger than yours: 12890 bytes

13K without tail is smaller than 9K of e3pi plus 24K of tail.

If you used e3pi instead of nano you could save space in BL3.
What is it you prefer about nano? I find that it does less of what I
want, but I never use the spellchecker in nano/pico (which catches all the
computer words that are correctly spelled).

I wonder why busybox tail did not work.