baslinux - Re: [BL] xvesa arguments found

  • From: Sindi Keesan <keesan AT iamjlamb.com>
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [BL] xvesa arguments found
  • Date: Wed, 14 Jan 2004 08:07:44 -0500 (EST)

> > When you finally got xvesa running, Steven, at what
> > color depth did it run?
>
> I specified 16 (same as my /etc/XF86Config). Whether
> it actually came up in 16bit or 8bit color, I don't know.
> 256 colors is plenty for me. Apparently Sindi wants more
> than that.
>
> > Do you think she got an 8 bit version,
>
> Perhaps. From what limited info there is about Xvesa,
> some things can be left out when you compile it (to make
> it smaller/faster).
>
> > Or is there maybe some other reason she's not getting
> > more than 8 bit color?
>
> It is always possible that a particular piece of hardware
> will produce an unusual result (especially when you
> mix'n'match components). However, I assume that Sindi
> is trying Xvesa on several of her machines?

Not yet, so far just on the machine with SiS onboard video for which there
is no accel driver. I will try it next with S3 which I have working with
lots of colors and an s3 driver. So I don't need xvesa on that computer.
What I wanted it for was for video chips that don't have accel drivers.
I will just move over the executable file and run it from /tmp as
suggested for RAMdisk BL2. I can check a Trident card with BL2 RAMdisk
that way on a third computer. (In fact I could start plugging in all 15
of our cards to see what worked with xvesa......)