baslinux - Re: [BL] xvesa arguments found

  • From: Sindi Keesan <keesan AT iamjlamb.com>
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [BL] xvesa arguments found
  • Date: Tue, 13 Jan 2004 09:40:42 -0500 (EST)

> > xinit -- /usr/X11R6/bin/Xvesa -screen 1280x1024x16
> >
> > This gives me a 1280 resolution screen but only 8-bit color
> > 800x600x24 also gives me 8-bit color (light turquoise)
> >
> > I would think Xvesa would provide more colors, since Xvesa
> > -listmodes gives a long list of possible resolutions and
> > color depths.
>
> I believe that Xvesa can be compiled with varying capabilites.
> It is possible that your version was compiled with a 8-bit
> limit.

Why would someone compile Xvesa, which requires a VESA 2.0 card, for 8-bit
color? All my my VESA 2.0 cards have 4M RAM and do 16 million colors at
high resolutions.

I will download and try JP's tinyx on the same card and if that also does
only 8-bit color, ask JP if it works better for him. Or contact the
delilinux forum for help.

We discovered that if you change from a 150 MHz Cyrix to a 166MHz Intel
cpu, the pci video card stops displaying a cursor and color until you move
it to pci slot number one.

sindi keesan