baslinux - Re: X Desktop size (Was Re: [BL] Mouse ?)

  • From: "Sindi Keesan" <keesan AT iamjlamb.com>
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: X Desktop size (Was Re: [BL] Mouse ?)
  • Date: Wed, 31 Dec 2003 20:27:55 -0500 (EST)

> On Wed, 31 Dec 2003, Sindi Keesan wrote:
>
>> > Yes, simply remove the Virtual line in /etc/XF86Config
>> > (or put a # at the beginning of the Virtual line). Then
>> > the screen size will be set to match the largest resolution
>> > you specify in /etc/XF86Config.
>
> My XF86Config doesn't have a Virtual line, but it doesn have 640x480 as
> the default screen size. Since I have 1280x1024 as the highest possible
> resolution though, my desktop is 1280x1024 with only 640x480 displayed at
> any one time. More below Sindi's response:
>
>> changed at least the line for 8-bit (1) to 432 - this gave me a 1024
>> screen and I could hit Ctl-Alt-+ to get back to the situation that Mole
>> describes.
>
> This is what I wanted to get by without. If you hit CtrlAlt+ to change
> resolution, have it not give you the virtual setting at all. If I'm in for
> example 1280x1024 and that is the first resolution Mode available and hit
> CtrlAlt+ then I would get 640x480 with the virtual desktop of 1280x1024. I
> want to make it so that if I switch to 640x480 I have total desktop space
> at 640x480 (no virtual desktop area at all). This is what I referred to
> by turning off virtual desktop. I will be digging through some stuff over
> the holiday weekend (4 day weekend, woohoo) so I'll be able to get some
> answers from my experiments to bring to the list.
>
> Matrix Mole

I found only one way to get a choice of resolutions without the virtual
screen effect - I set up each color depth to work at only one resolution,
for instance 1280 at 8-bit color, 1024 at 16-bit, 800 at 24-bit and 640 at
32 bit.
I can specify which color depth to use and that then determines the
resolution.
startx -- -bpp 24 gives me 24-bit depth and 800 resolution. On the modes
line for 24 bit color, I have ONLY "800x600"
Surely there is a better way than this for people who would like to use
the same color depth with all their possible resolutions and no virtual
screen effect.
I put startx24 and startx800 into my .profile file so that i would not
need to type the whole thing out when i wanted 24-bit color and/or 800x600
resolution.