baslinux - Re: [BL] Ted problems

  • From: "Sindi Keesan" <keesan AT iamjlamb.com>
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [BL] Ted problems
  • Date: Sat, 13 Dec 2003 20:04:44 -0500 (EST)

> Day Brown wrote:
>>
>> First off, most of us compose text for this screen,
>> not to be printed on paper.
>
> When I compose for the screen (eg. email), I use a text
> editor. When I compose for paper, I use a word processor.

I use a text editor for most things, including ones I print.
>> Second, if you have gone to the bother to actually learn
>> how to type, the gui mouse system sux.
>
> Why is that? I know how to type and I see no difference
> between the two. Once you are on the line typing, it's
> exactly the same. The only difference is in one case (GUI)
> you use the mouse to select options, and in the other (wp51)
> you use drop-down menus or function keys to select options.
> Perhaps some people have learned to touch-type the wp51
> function keys (all 40 of them), but not me.
There are those of us who have memorized the relevant F keys, which is why
I also use the old XT keyboard since you can reach those keys more easily.
It is a real nuisance to me if I need to remove my hands from the letter
keys to find the top-line F keys or the mouse. I often replace my hands
onto the wrong keys. Therefore I am looking hard for a linux wordprocessor
that needs no mouse input and the gui ones don't seem designed that way.
The author of flwriter is unusually responsive to feature suggestions.

We are all different. I find colors really confusing and can not remember
what they mean. Red underlines drive me crazy. Give me a TTL monitor any
day.