baslinux - Re: [BL] man2html script

  • From: James Miller <jamtat AT mailsnare.net>
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [BL] man2html script
  • Date: Wed, 3 Dec 2003 18:01:28 -0600 (CST)

On Thu, 4 Dec 2003 3aoo-cvfd AT dea.spamcon.org wrote:

> James Miller wrote:
> >
> > works great on my newer Debian system. It will need to be
> > edited to work in BL (e.g., location of manpages).
> > #!/bin/bash
> > zcat `find /usr/share/man* -name $1.*` | man2html > /tmp/xxx.html
> > lynx /tmp/xxx.html
>
> Since this list is for BasicLinux/Slackware users, I would be
> grateful if everyone would provide examples that actually work
> in that flavor of Linux. It is difficult enough for beginners
> to cope with the demands of Linux without running into the
> incompatibilities between various flavors.
>
> This is how it would look in BasicLinux:
> #!/bin/bash
> zcat `find /usr/man/man* -name $1.*` | man2html > /tmp/xxx.html
> lynx /tmp/xxx.html

I was using what I had on hand at the moment. Sorry for any confusion
that may have caused. Thus far, I've been unable to recreate the success
I had on the other system on my BL machine and am trying to determine
where the problem lies. I've been able to do the steps separately - i.e.,

zcat /usr/man/man1/antiword.1.gz | man2html > /tmp/xxx.html
then
links /tmp/xxx.html
which brings up the manpage nicely in Links. But so far neither Links nor
Lynx work with the script. Probably I'm doing something very simple
incorrectly. I'll report back on any successes.

No input on eliminating the /tmp/xxx.html step yet.

James