baslinux - Re: [BL] man2html script

  • From: James Miller <jamtat AT mailsnare.net>
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [BL] man2html script
  • Date: Wed, 3 Dec 2003 13:36:53 -0600 (CST)

On Thu, 4 Dec 2003 3aoo-cvfd AT dea.spamcon.org wrote:

> James Miller wrote:
> >
> > the idea here is to use lynx or links to view manpages
> > (instead of groff), right? And the problems are:
> > 1) uncompressing the man pages so man2html can work
> > on them; and 2) specifying the correct file for zcat/man2html
> > to operate on, so as not to have to go hunting for it?
>
> zcat `find /usr/man/man* -name $1.*`

Here's the final product - a bash script - which works great on my newer
Debian system. It will need to be edited to work in BL (e.g., location of
manpages). Thanks so much to Steven for his input on this, and to Sindi
for her persistence :). Script (which I named "MAN") follows:

#!/bin/bash
zcat `find /usr/share/man* -name $1.*` | man2html > /tmp/xxx.html
lynx /tmp/xxx.html

Enjoy, James