baslinux - Re: [BL] pcmcia help, more frequent fsck'ing

  • From: "James Miller (office)" <jamtat AT mailsnare.net>
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [BL] pcmcia help, more frequent fsck'ing
  • Date: Mon, 14 Jul 2003 11:15:38 -0500 (CDT)

On Sat, 12 Jul 2003 qwms-avib AT dea.spamcon.org wrote:

> > Ok. But to resolve the remaining "unkown commands" - netstat and fuser -
> > I'm going to have to install tcpip1 and procps, right?
>
> Not necessarily. You can untar the package in the /tmp directory,
> follow the subdirectories down to the executable and move it to
> the appropriate directory. Then delete the rest.
>
> > When I install those, would any such problem as you've mentioned
> > (busybox getting overwritten) be expected?
>
> It's certainly possible. As I understand it, you symlinked ifconfig.
> When you install tcip1, the real ifconfig will unpack into that
> directory. Depending on how that file is created, it *might* be
> redirected by the symlink and overwrite busybox. I had this happen
> with BL1 when I installed a package from Slackware 3.5 (that's why
> in BL2 I moved the symlinks into /bin/busybox where they could not
> be overwritten). Whether a similar thing happens with packages from
> Slackware 7.1, I don't know.

Steven:

The HD on the system on which I was trying to set this up is just too
fragile: I'm going to have to replace it (every time I try to install a
certain package, I get disk corruption and need to fsck: apparently, the
package is trying to install over the same bad sector each time). This
means I'm going to have to do this all over again from scratch. Given
this scenario, which of the 6 commands should I symlink and which get from
procps and tcpip1 (and/or other packages)? And, in the case of the
latter, should I avoid installpkg'ing those 2 packages, as your above
advice seems to indicate, and just unpack them and track down the relevant
binaries? And, finally, is there some way I can help the BL2 project by
documenting what I've done to get the pcmcia NIC working?

James