baslinux - Re: [BL] pcmcia help, more frequent fsck'ing

  • From: James Miller <jamtat AT mailsnare.net>
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [BL] pcmcia help, more frequent fsck'ing
  • Date: Fri, 11 Jul 2003 05:48:59 -0500 (CDT)

On Fri, 11 Jul 2003 qwms-avib AT dea.spamcon.org wrote:

> Are you executing this:
> -------------------------
> /etc/rc.d/rc.pcmcia start
> -------------------------

Nope. But doing so sure helped. I was able to sort of hack my way
through getting online using this. Let me explain. First, executing this
script ended up with a certain command not found - insmod. Having seen
this problem before in some post on the subject on this list in the past,
I knew how to take care of that: by symlinking the needed file, which is
in busybox, while the script expects it to be in /sbin. Next error was
concerning ifconfig, similarly expected to be in /sbin. I symlinked that
one too. Turns out there are 3 further commands expected by the pcmcia
start script: cat, expr and uname. Are these also part of busybox,
Steven? Should they be similarly symlinked? Ok. I just checked and they
are in busybox, so I've symlinked them. This should probably be added to
the FAQ for BL2.

Now when I execute /etc/rc.d/rc.pcmcia start I get no further complaints
about commands not found. What I do get, however, is a final line saying
"cardmgr [69]: executing: './network start eth0'." To me, this indicates
that the script is looking for some file or directory called "network" one
directory up from where the script is being executed (i.e., at /etc/rc.d).
I suppose in that file/dir it should find the interface address to assign
the card, and perhaps the address of the default gateway. However, there
is no such file/dir there, so the script just sort of hangs at this point.
There is a file there called "networks" (note the "s" on the end) though.
Is this the place to put the address desired for the NIC? Is it the place
to specify the default gateway? Should it be symlinked to /etc/network
(without the "s")? I note that specifying the address for eth0 and the
default gateway in /etc/rc.d/rc.inet1 doesn't help anything, since this
file is being processed before /etc/rc.d/rc.pcmcia start gets run. So,
some questions are raised, as follows:

1) if one wants the script /etc/rc.d/rc.pcmcia start to run on boot up,
where should it get put? I.e., in which startup file?

2) can the script use the network information found in /etc/rc.d/rc.inet1
to configure the machine for the network? Or must it find this
configuration info in some other, distinct, place? (in /etc/network,
according to the feedback I'm getting from the script).

For now I can continue to just manually add the interface address
("ifconfig eth0 192.168.x.x") and the default gateway ("route -add default
gateway 192.168.x.x") in order to get online. But it would be nice to
know how to get the machine to execute all this on startup. Any input on
that?

Thanks, James