baslinux - Re: [BL] Fwd: Can't shutdown or halt from X (BL2)

  • From: qwms-avib AT dea.spamcon.org
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [BL] Fwd: Can't shutdown or halt from X (BL2)
  • Date: Sat, 28 Jun 2003 09:15:57 +0000

Andrew Langdon-Davies wrote:

> the little menu allowing me to shutdown ok;
>
> I would like a normal user to be able to shut down using
> su and then halt or shutdown. Is this possible?

Normal users are not allowed to shutdown the system
(that is too much power to give to an ordinary user).
The root user has that power. As does CTRL-ALT-DEL
from the console (if specified in /etc/inittab).

I suggest your normal user press CTRL-ALT-F4 (to return
to the console) and then press CTRL-ALT-DEL. Alternatively
(and this is probably cleaner) logout from icewm first and
then press CTRL-ALT-DEL.