baslinux - Re: [BL] X Window settings

  • From: qwms-avib AT dea.spamcon.org
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [BL] X Window settings
  • Date: Tue, 24 Jun 2003 16:16:40 +0000

Nepsong Sekalee wrote:

> I have some question about setting up X Window
> - how to set X to 800x600 resolution ? I've installed
> xsvga.tgz, xfscl.tgz and xf100.tgz as told on BL site
> and configure it with xf86config with no success :(

First, are you sure that xsvga is the correct driver for
your screen? There are several hi-res drivers to choose
from -- xsvga works on many screens, but not all.

Second, I suggest you use XF86Setup, rather than xf86config.
XF86Setup has a point-and-click screen that is easier to
use than xf86config. XF86Setup is an additional package:
/slakware/x1/xset.tgz. Install it with installpkg. Once
your new XF86Config is working, you can delete the xset.tgz
package.

> - Is it possible to add pcmcia

installpkg pcmcia.tgz
You will find it in /slakware/a11

> and sound support on BL ?

The BL2 does not have sound support built-in. You will
need to replace the kernel (zimage). I normally recommend
the bare.i kernel (bzimage) from Slackware 7.1, but you
should read /bootdsks.144/REAME.TXT. Perhaps the bareapm.i
kernel is better for you.