baslinux - Re: [BL] Rdesktop

  • From: James Miller <jamtat AT mailsnare.net>
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [BL] Rdesktop
  • Date: Sun, 1 Jun 2003 21:31:48 -0500 (CDT)

On Mon, 2 Jun 2003, Yong Beng Ong wrote:

> Thanks James for the questions and info..appreciate

You're welcome. Thanks for tolerating my facetiousness :)

> /<#> ldd /usr/bin/rdesktop
> /usr/bin/rdesktop: /lib/libc.so.6:version 'GLIBC_2.3'
> not found (required by /usr/bin/rdesktop)

I think that's gonna be the killer for this version of rdesktop - right
Steven? I think there's really no way to update the libraries in BL2 to
glibc2.3. You'll probably have no choice but to compile the program
yourself, and let it link itself to libraries you *do* have on your
system (isn't that the way it works, Steven?). I'd say brace yourself for
installing gcc.

> libcrypto.so.0 => not found

Don't think this will be as much of a problem, though I'm not sure in what
package you'll find this. Maybe libssl or something like that?

> and james..I'm sorry if my so call 1 question turn out
> to be 5. my fault on that.but I wanna highlight 1
> thing is that I'm excited about BL. that's why I
> wanted to explore all sorts of possibility and throw
> away the M$ OS which always fail on me..currently, I'm
> able to run links and surf the net which I love every
> moment of it. and I seriously hope to get some help
> from experts like you guys to aid me into getting my
> BL works. Thanks once again.

Yeah, I share your enthusiasm about what can be done with BL2 on old
systems. It's exciting. I'm afraid I'm not much of an expert, but I can
sometimes pitch in with something meaningful. I, for one, would
appreciate a report on what you think of rdesktop and what you use it for,
if you manage to get it running on BL2. Be prepared for a challenge,
though.

James