baslinux - Re: [BL] brownser for bl2

  • From: <keesan2 AT cyberspace.org>
  • To: <baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [BL] brownser for bl2
  • Date: Sun, 1 Jun 2003 22:29:59 -0400 (EDT)

Opera 6.03 also works with BL2, on a slower computer than yours. I much
prefer it because it does not require a mouse, and I think, unlike 5.05,
it does not download images when you set it not to show images. Steven
says Opera 6.10 crashes. 6.03 crashed for James but has never crashed for
me. It works with xvg16, slowly. It works a bit faster with xmono but
will not display images at all. Type F11 to use it in full-screen mode so
as to avoid half a screen full of menus, buttons, and banner ad.

Try typing sh doinstall.sh when you are in the directory containing that
file, after unpackaging the .tar.gz file. I got Opera to work without
doing that but I have to run it from a directory with a very long file
name, and I had to move a couple of files that it could not find to where
it expected to find them. The doinstall.sh puts the files where they are
supposed to be, and probably puts opera itself on the path. I ran out of
space so could not do a regular installation.

I 'installed' Opera 6.03 by typing installpkg plus the name of the .tar.gz
file, which put it into a separate directory. So you could probably use
installpkg instead of tar, and then run doinstall.sh.