baslinux - Re: [BL] ftp problem

  • From: <keesan2 AT cyberspace.org>
  • To: <baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [BL] ftp problem
  • Date: Fri, 23 May 2003 11:13:20 -0400 (EDT)

> > I also telnet to get my mail from a Unix-type server. I suppose I could
> > copy anything I wanted to save on my home computer to my internet
> > directory, wget, and then delete it, but that seems a bit time-consuming.
> >
> > Since I also wanted a dialer, I installed Kermit for Slackware 7.1 (2M
>
> But BL2 has a dialer. So why do you want to use kermit, unless kermit is
> also some other thing?

BL2 has a ppp-type dialer to dial my ISP. I don't know of any way to use
this dialer to dial my bbs, which does not use packets or a packet driver.
You just phone and enter login and password. I used to use PC-TALK and
then PROCOMM to dial the bbs (and before that to connect directly to other
people with modems so we could exchange files).

Minicom will also dial my bbs but it won't let me read extended ASCII
characters. It also uses Ctrl-A for something so I cannot use Ctrl-A to
go to the beginning of a line in Pine or Lynx. Kermit is much nicer.

Kermit also provides file transfer, telnet and ftp. (The DOS version does
not do ftp). I can transfer files to and from the bbs, and between my own
computers (DOS Kermit on one, Linux Kermit on another).