baslinux - Re: [BL] BL and sound

  • From: qwms-avib AT dea.spamcon.org
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [BL] BL and sound
  • Date: Thu, 22 May 2003 08:48:02 +0000

keesan2 AT cyberspace.org wrote:

> How large is modprobe?

It's not just modprobe. You need /etc/conf.modules.
You need depmod (to compute the dependencies). And
you need modules.dep (the dependency database).

> Seems like it would have saved some time here.

It only saves time the first time you run a new module.
After that it wastes time and space.

> Or does BL2 already have a way to determine dependencies
> of modules?

All module dependencies are listed on the Slackware 7.1
CDrom or mirror (in /modules/2.2.16/modules.dep). If
you insmod a new module and get unresolved-symbol errors,
find that module in modules.dep and it will probably have
dependencies listed after it. Just insmod those modules
first.

> The BL2 kernel is about 512K and the bare.i kernel
> (needed in order to install sound modules) about 894K.

The lowmem.i kernel (479kb) can also do sound -- but
it does not do networking.

> Do I understand correctly that the BL2 kernel was compiled
> to support adding network modules but not to contain the
> actual network drivers?

There are many different network cards. Putting drivers
for all those cards in the kernel would waste space. By
using a module, the user can install the exact driver
needed by his card (and none of the others).

> And that lowram.i will not work for BL2 users who want to
> go online because it does not support adding the ppp module?

Because it does not support TCP/IP networking.