baslinux - Re: [BL] BL and sound

  • From: "Ron Clarke" <ariadne AT acepia.net.au>
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [BL] BL and sound
  • Date: Wed, 21 May 2003 10:26:26 +1000

Hi Folks,

On Mon, 19 May 2003 18:49:34 +0000, Jean-Philippe Piers wrote:
> as Steven said you have to load the correct module for you'r sound card and
> make
> a try with some wav file.

So which one would anyone suggest ? It is a Creative Vibra 16
(=SB16).

I got sound.o , sb.o , but what x.tgz has the sndcfg in it, and all
the other good stuff to set up a sound card ?

> cat toto.wav >/dev/dsp should product sound !

Not yet. :(

> but you need a fast CPU and ram to
> play mp3 ... it doesn't work on 486 dx33 with 8mb ram .
> you need more power and ram for mp3's

Yes, I know. I have this installation on a K6 450 MHz machine with
64 MB RAM. I think that might just be enough !

>> In BL2, put the module in /lib/modules/2.2.16/misc
>> Then do the following:
>> -------------------------
>> insmod sound trace_init=1
>> -------------------------
>> The trace parameter should give you some output to show
>> that your sound card is detected.

Yes, I do get some output, but it doesn't look particularly positive.

Using /lib/modules/2.2.16/misc/sound.o
insmod: unresolved symbol sound_preinit_lowlevel_drivers
insmod: unresolved symbol unregister_sound_dsp
insmod: unresolved symbol sound_unload_lowlevel_drivers
insmod: unresolved symbol unregister_sound_midi
insmod: unresolved symbol register_sound_dsp
insmod: unresolved symbol register_sound_mixer
insmod: unresolved symbol unregister_sound_mixer
insmod: unresolved symbol unregister_sound_special
insmod: unresolved symbol register_sound_special
insmod: unresolved symbol sound_init_lowlevel_drivers
insmod: unresolved symbol register_sound_midi

Any suggestions ?

Regards,
Ron

Ron Clarke