baslinux - Re: [BL] Home network with a twisted pair

  • From: qwms-avib AT dea.spamcon.org
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [BL] Home network with a twisted pair
  • Date: Sun, 18 May 2003 09:54:30 +0000

Constant Brouerius van Nidek wrote:

> 1) My home directory and the directory of DrDos have no
> content.

Perhaps they are not mounted?

> 2)And I cannot go from the SuSe computer to my BL2
> computer.

In order to mount a filesystem across a network, the source
computer must be running an NFS server. Your SuSE computer
is doing this, so any computer on the network can mount from
the SuSE computer (as long as the permissions are correct).
However, BL2 does not contain an NFS server (although you
can add one from Slackware).

> And when I tell the BL2 box to mount bigone without comment
> I get the info that it is not found on the fstab/mtab.
> In the fstab I have though the input:
> bigone:/ /bigone nfs defaults 0 0

Try this:
-------------
mount /bigone
-------------

> Connecting from the SuSe box is also something not solved
> yet. If I try to mount it with mount p100:/ /mnt it give me
> following info:
> mount: RPC : Port mapper failure - RPC unable to receive.

That's what happens when you try to mount a host which
is not running an NFS server.

> Has that to be repaired on the BL2 box

The NFS server is in Slackware 7.1:
/slakware/a6/tcpip1.tgz
However, running an NFS server on the p100 will put an
additional load (three processes) on the system. One
reason why BL2 runs faster than ordinary distributions
is because it keeps such processes to a minimum.