baslinux - Re: [BL] Home network with a twisted pair

  • From: James Miller <jamtat AT mailsnare.net>
  • To: constant AT indo.net.id, Basic Linux lijst <baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Cc:
  • Subject: Re: [BL] Home network with a twisted pair
  • Date: Fri, 16 May 2003 11:36:15 -0500 (CDT)

On Fri, 16 May 2003, Constant Brouerius van Nidek wrote:

> Finaly got so far as to connect my P100 with my Pentium II.
> On the P100 I run BL2, on the Pentium II SuSe 8.1.

<snip>
> I have the feeling that something is not right or missing. Have no
> idea what or where so I have attached the results of my search.
> What is wrong and where do I have to repair it?

My rather primitive networking skills indicate to me that your BL machine
has no network address assigned to its interface, and that this may be
the source of your problems. I think the way you do this, from the
command line is "ifconfig eth0 192.168.1.1". You can add this line to
your /etc/rc.d/rc.inet1 file to get the network interface address assigned
at bootup. You might also need to add your SuSe machine as the network's
gateway, if that's how you're using it. That's something like "route add
default gw 192.168.1.0". I think that line can also be added to
/etc/rc.d/rc.inet1. I hope I'm remembering your addressing scheme
correctly. Steven can hopefully pipe in and correct any mistakes I've
made.

James