baslinux - Re: [BL] BL2 and Opera 5 - no crashes (yet)

  • From: Howard Eisenberger <howarde AT gmx.net>
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [BL] BL2 and Opera 5 - no crashes (yet)
  • Date: Tue, 29 Apr 2003 05:53:49 -0400

On Tue, Apr 29, 2003 at 01:55:32AM -0400, Howard Eisenberger wrote:

> Try links-ssl.tgz at <http://www.ncf.ca/ncf/pda/dos/computer/baslinux/>.

Obviously, that should be lynx-ssl.tgz

> Lynx Version 2.8.4rel.1 (17 Jul 2001)
> libwww-FM 2.14, SSL-MM 1.4.1, OpenSSL 0.9.7
> Built on linux-gnu Apr 26 2003 12:52:27

Howard E.
Date: Tue, 29 Apr 2003 17:08:17 -0500
From: Ernesto Celis <celise AT Prodigy.Net.mx>
Sender: celise AT prodigy.net.mx
To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
Subject: [BL] I like configure my latin keyboard for work in BL2

I've installed BL 2 and X in a 486sx 33mhz with a 102 keys
latin keyboard, and i like to configure this keyboard to
work properly in BL. What can i do to configure my keyboard
to work ok in console and X?
I have a 24MB ram and i'm using the bzimage kernel from
slackware 7.1
BL is runing on my HD (200MB) then i think i can't compile
nothing here. Or i'm wrong?
Thanks for your help and i apologize for my english :)

celisdelafuente AT hotmail.com
celise AT prodigy.net.mx
044 834 8 53 81 77
On Tue, 29 Apr 2003, Ernesto Celis wrote:

> I've installed BL 2 and X in a 486sx 33mhz with a 102 keys
> latin keyboard, and i like to configure this keyboard to
> work properly in BL. What can i do to configure my keyboard
> to work ok in console and X?

I should let someone else with more experience address the keyboard issue.
But I'll just note that it's been discussed at length here recently, and
my impression is that configuring the keyboard under Linux is sort of its
own little science.

> I have a 24MB ram and i'm using the bzimage kernel from
> slackware 7.1
> BL is runing on my HD (200MB) then i think i can't compile
> nothing here. Or i'm wrong?

Probably you won't be able to compile anything unless you get a second
hard drive. The compiler from Slack71 takes up about 120MB of HD space.
That wouldn't leave you much room for anything else.

James
Date: Tue, 29 Apr 2003 18:22:33 -0400 (EDT)
From: sindi keesan <keesan2 AT cyberspace.org>
To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
Subject: Re: [BL] BL2 and Lynx 2.8.4-ssl and Opera 6 - no crashes (yet)

I downloaded and installed it lynx-284 with ssl. I moved lynx.cfg to
where it said to move it when I started lynx-ssl (which I needed to put on
the path). What is mailcap used for? It works without that. (The DOS
version is set up differently, no mailcap). I changed the start page to
the bookmarks file so i could use lynx locally. I changed the jpeg and
gif viewer from xli (it was not zgv) to seejpeg. I don't think I could
find xli for Slackware 7.1 either. Lynx appears to work fine, many thanks.
In my dos version I set lynx to display pdf files with pdftotext and I
will look for that in Slackware 7.1. Faster than ghostscript.

Lynx 28.3 and its files are in different directories so they are not
sharing lynx.cfg files, which lets me experiment on them separately.

I also downloaded Opera 6.03 and it installed okay. Complained about no
unicode file but that can be fixed later somehow. I have been testing it
on forms and not a single crash (unlike what Steven reports for 6.10).
Unlike Opera 5.05 it worked at my bbs, logged in and even posted. 5.05
would not post, Links 2.1.9 would not log in (did not even ask me for
mylogin and password). I have not needed a mouse with 6.03. I turned
images off and the banner ad also went blank (and it went to the bottom of
the screen as a duplicate copy of itself at some point but that fixed
itself). I tried to turn off all the bars but could not find a way to set
the toolbar to text only (you cannot turn it off without paying first).
So I hit F11 and got to use the entire screen, no buttons, no bars, no
ads. F11 gets yo the menu back if you need it. The default setup gave me
about 1/4 of the screen usable for viewing websites.

I have not noticed anything inferior about this version as compared to
Opera 7 for Win95. They say 7 is smaller and faster, I did not notice. I
forgot to check if it downloads images when they are turned off. At this
point I don't care, I would only use Opera on sites that I cannot access
with Lynx or Links2.1.9.

So far I am quite happy with Lynx 2.8.4-ssl (no missing features compared
to 2.8.5 that i noticed) and Opera 6.03. I need to remap X11 to something
on my 84-key keyboard.

if I can get sound and Realaudio and the scanner working (I think we need
to acquire a SCSI card first, not the one that came with it) the Win95
computer will be converted to Linux.

Did the person who wanted to install a sound module with the BL2 kernel
have any luck? Has anyone in the group used Lnux wiht a scanner. (Please
forgive the typos - telnet lag).

Various other people for whom Opera 6.1 crashed had remarked that the
earlier versions were not crashing.

Has anyone used plugins with Opera for Linux?