baslinux - Re: [BL] Installation NOW COMPLETE

  • From: qwms-avib AT dea.spamcon.org
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [BL] Installation NOW COMPLETE
  • Date: Wed, 30 Apr 2003 08:22:18 +0000

James Miller wrote:

> I'm beginning to think there is some error in the
> BL2 installation routine.

I've had a close look at the installation script and
yes there is an expression which can go wrong. I have
modified the script to eliminate the potential problem
and I will put it in bl2-03.zip (available soon).

> Is BL set to enter the device location from the /cd
> (instead of the /hd) directory into fstab as the root
> partition?

No, it is designed to put /hd into the fstab. The
problem is in the grep expression:
set -- `mount|grep /hd`
echo "$1 / ext2 defaults 1 1" >etc/fstab
Mount lists the current mounted directories. This is
piped to grep, which looks for the /hd directory. Set
parses the line into the positional parameters and $1
is the first (i.e. the /dev that /hd is on).

The problem is: I didn't make the grep expression
specific enough. Not only does grep output the /hd
line, but it also outputs every line that has an /hd
in it. So, if the user has mounted /dev/hda1, that
line is output too. The parsing routine selects the
first item of output, so whichever partition is first
in the mount table will be written to fstab.

It's a silly oversight, but I never discovered it in
testing (even though I ran the installation script
several times on two different computers and checked
each time that fstab was correct). Perhaps I was just
lucky, or perhaps I always mounted my partitions in the
same order. I don't know.

Apologies to anyone who has had a problem with this.
Special thanks to James for pointing this out.