baslinux - Re: [BL] BL2 and Opera 5 - no crashes (yet)

  • From: sindi keesan <keesan2 AT cyberspace.org>
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [BL] BL2 and Opera 5 - no crashes (yet)
  • Date: Mon, 28 Apr 2003 11:55:06 -0400 (EDT)

Opera 5.05 would not page down for me until I put back the scrollbars
(Ctrl-F7).

After practicing with Opera 7/Win95, I was able to use Opera 5.05 to sign
up for online banking. It scrambled the screen fairly often so it was
rather hard to access the links, which would appear in mid-air surrounded
by irrelevant things from a previous screen.

I was also able to use console Links 2.1.9and things were much more
legible and the links were all much easier to read than in Opera because I
got the full Alt tag rather than a truncated version stuffed into a little
square (I turned off images in Opera to get more onto a page, but you
still get a lot more on a page with Links). Links is much faster. The
fact that Opera downloads images even when it does not display them may
have something to do with it. Links also loads faster.

Has anyone run into any sites that Opera can handle but Links cannot?

I am unable to use Links 2.1.9 to access my bbs via the web interface.
It runs into HTML that it cannot deal with - I cannot even sign in.
Opera gets me a little further but then refuses to post what I entered.
Lynx 2.8.3 (no ssl) works fine and is faster as well.

I may try Opera 6.03. 7 is much nicer than 5 (no mouse needed, pages down
properly).

I would greatly appreciate a compiled version of Lynx with ssl to use at
websites that Links/Opera cannot handle. Where other than Slackware might
I hunt for one that will work with BL2?