baslinux - Re: [BL] Pine and BL2

  • From: James Miller <jamtat AT mailsnare.net>
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [BL] Pine and BL2
  • Date: Mon, 21 Apr 2003 22:52:35 -0500 (CDT)

On Mon, 21 Apr 2003, sindi keesan wrote:

> My ISP does not support IMAP - do you need that in order to use Pine to
> view messages on the server? I tried to get the DOS version of pine to do
> this once and gave up. Some ISPs do support IMAP.

Pine can do *either* pop3 or IMAP. I should qualify that by saying that
I'm most familiar with Pine 4.44 and later. I can't speak from personal
experience about 4.21 (the Slack71 version), but am presuming that it, too
does IMAP as well as pop3. But in any case, I can attest from personal
experience that 4.21 does do pop3. I tried it, and the directions I gave
are for using it with a pop3 server.

James
Date: Mon, 21 Apr 2003 23:19:39 -0500 (CDT)
From: James Miller <jamtat AT mailsnare.net>
To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org

On Tue, 22 Apr 2003 qwms-avib AT dea.spamcon.org wrote:

> This sounds like webmail (online mail reading/writing).
> Can Pine simply download the entire batch of mail from
> the POP3 server and let you read the messages offline?

There's quite alot of documentation on the web on Pine, and I suggest you
consult that to see if it can do what you ask. I've always used it as a
popmail checker, so I just can't say for sure if it can do what you're
talking about. My impression is that it needs an MTA to do that like
fetchmail. But that's only a guess.

> > {nameofyour.popserver/user=yourusername/pop3}INBOX
>
> Where does the password go?

You are prompted for your password when the client connects to the
server.

> > "Inbox" is typically the name of the folder on your pop server
> > where your mail is stored,
>
> My POP3 server has no folders. Will Pine work without some
> sort of box on the server?

I think it's standard protocol for pop3 server administrators to name the
root folder for a given account "inbox." Like the mainpage for a given
website is often called "index.html" or "default.html." It's sort of a
guess, but makes sense.

> It sounds like all of this is being done online. I don't
> see how this is different from using a browser to read/write
> webmail.

Well, at 1-2MB for the Pine 4.21 binary, it's alot smaller than a web
browser (except maybe Links 0.xx or Dillo) and so is likely a bit faster.
And it gives you an address book and you can configure things like an html
viewer, editor - etc.

> It appears that pine is a reader/writer, not a transport
> agent. I was hoping it would do both (like netscape mail),
> so it could replace both mailz (the BL2 reader/writer) and
> pmail (the BL2 transport agent). It looks like pine will
> be a good substitute for mailz, but it will still need
> pmail to do the uploading/downloading.

You're probably right about it needing a transport agent. But let's check
into this further, since I'm not totally sure.

> The pmail inbox is: ~/mail/inbox
> If you put that in the pine "inbox-path", pine will probably
> find the mail that pmail downloads. Ditto the "outbox-path".
> Assuming this works, you could then edit /usr/bin/mail and
> replace the following line:
> --------------------------------------
> 6) mailz -p ~/mail/outbox ~/mail/inbox
> --------------------------------------
> I'm guessing that all you would need is: 6) pine

Probably. Pine's mail directory is ~/mail (lower case m).

James
Date: Tue, 22 Apr 2003 04:33:53 -0700 (PDT)
From: Vlad <vdnick AT yahoo.com>
To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
Subject: [BL] Telnet or SSH and Mail POP3 server on Basic linux 2

Hi.

I want to install SSH (or telnet) and POP3 daemon on
Basic Linux. Please help me !!!
Where (in slakware) and what package i need for this ?
Thank's.

http://search.yahoo.com
Date: Tue, 22 Apr 2003 09:27:11 -0400
From: Diego Barizo <diegoba AT adinet.com.uy>
To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
Subject: Re: [BL] Sound support?

qwms-avib AT dea.spamcon.org wrote:

>David Moberg wrote:
>

>>Has anybody successfully gotten an ISA sound board
>>working in BasicLinux?
>>

>The BL2 zimage (kernel) does not contain sound capability.
>To have sound, you will need to use a bzimage from Slack71.
>The one in /kernels/bare.i is probably the best. Copy it
>to the (DOS) directory where you boot BL2 and edit boot.bat
>to change zimage to bzimage.
>
>Cheers,
>Steven

Can't alsa or any other external program be used?
Or installing a module?